Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-24 20:37:29

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 23/344

Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

Hack Name: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory
Hack of: Pokémon Red

(.ips patch download at the bottom of this post)

This hack was made entirely with the pokered disassembly project.  No hex editing was involved.  Here's a a link to the github repository:
Pokémon Red: Battle Factory Github Repository

This project is a recreation of the Battle Factory from the Battle Frontiers in Gen 3 and Gen 4 games.  Most of the features are present, but I'll describe the main components of the game, anyway.  You are presented with 6 initial pokemon, from which you pick 3.  You then use these 3 pokemon to battle 7 consecutive trainers.  After every trainer you defeat, you are given the option to switch one of your pokemon with one of their pokemon.  After defeating 7 trainers in a row, you advance to the next class, and each subsequent class has more powerful pokemon to choose from.  There are a total of 9 classes in this hack, and there are Factory Heads, which are like bosses, that will challenge you once you get past the first 2 classes.

All of the available pokemon have custom-defined movesets, so it's very possible that this is not a completely balanced game.  But then again, pokemon is not a completely balanced game, so I think we're good.

Also, if it's not clear, this is a standalone game, so the only part of this hack is the Battle Factory.  You cannot leave the Battle Factory to pursue a normal pokemon master's destiny.  Sorry!

Here are some screenshots to give you an idea of how it looks:

Wp7slnL.png 0EbnztJ.png EXISbzb.png
RXf9dQF.png mmYOb89.png nPgZKHG.png
5zgC87a.png RXuWrOT.png

Release Info

Version 1.2 (Released August 25, 2014)
Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/a4ja4 … ry_1_2.ips

This version is complete.

Bugs

- The sprite of the enemy trainer gets jumbled up if you swap pokemon.  This has no effect on gameplay.

Credits:

Huge credits go to everyone involved in the pokered disassembly project.  I also used Danny-E 33's Gen II Graphics Patch to spice up the battle scene.

Last edited by ShantyTown (2014-08-26 00:32:32)

Offline

#2 2014-01-24 22:17:25

pokeglitch
Member
Registered: 2013-02-20
Post 22/95

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

Nice work, this must've took a lot of time.  I'm not familiar with the battle factory that this is based on.  Are your initial six options and the trainers (or their Pokemon) that you battle selected from a pool at random?

Do you plan on ever merging it with Pokemon Maize?

It looks awesome!

Offline

#3 2014-01-24 23:07:05

tekcoR
Member
From: Celadon City
Registered: 2010-10-16
Post 164/165

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

Awesome project! What are the movesets based on? Stadium?


Cya

Offline

#4 2014-01-24 23:40:11

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 24/344

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

pokeglitch wrote:

Nice work, this must've took a lot of time.  I'm not familiar with the battle factory that this is based on.  Are your initial six options and the trainers (or their Pokemon) that you battle selected from a pool at random?

Do you plan on ever merging it with Pokemon Maize?

It looks awesome!

Thanks!  It actually only took about 3 weeks!  The disassembly makes doing everything extremely efficient.

There is a pool of pokemon for each "class" of pokemon.  You start in class 0, and whenever you beat 7 trainers in a row, you move up a class.  All pokemon that you choose from and the trainers' pokemon are chosen from that pool.  If you look at the file "main.asm" in the github repository for this project, search for "MonClass1:", and you'll see all of the pokemon in each pool.  As a side note, there is also a check when picking pokemon that doesn't allow duplicate pokemon in the inital 6 and in the trainers' teams.

Unfortunately, I didn't create this with the intention of using it alongside Maize, so I stomped over a bunch of the main routines.  With some work, I think I could make it fairly modular in the sense that it could be "plugged in" to other hacks that are created from a disassembly.

tekcoR wrote:

Awesome project! What are the movesets based on? Stadium?

The movesets aren't really based on anything.  To me, coming up with the movesets was the least interesting part of the project, so I didn't put very much effort into making them.  Luckily, it's an open-source project, so if anyone really hates the movesets/pokemon, they can easily change them!

Offline

#5 2014-01-25 01:27:21

stag019
Idea Killer
Registered: 2011-01-05
Post 561/630

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

A coupla things:
1. I had too much fun with this. That is a bad thing as I almost never play hacks.
2. I was able to get the game to freeze (I believe by hitting B when it asks if I want to swap Pokemon)
3. There is no three.
4. When it asks if you want to swap Pokemon, you should be able to view their stats.
5. When you select a Pokemon to swap, it should ask for confirmation. I accidentally swapped the wrong Pokemon a few times.
6. more when I play more


You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

Offline

#6 2014-01-25 03:54:26

jiangzhengwenjz
New member
Registered: 2013-12-14
Post 4/9

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

Oh, a new hack! What matters me is whether the hack is only about battle?

Offline

#7 2014-01-25 04:30:46

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 25/344

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

stag019 wrote:

A coupla things:
1. I had too much fun with this. That is a bad thing as I almost never play hacks.
2. I was able to get the game to freeze (I believe by hitting B when it asks if I want to swap Pokemon)
3. There is no three.
4. When it asks if you want to swap Pokemon, you should be able to view their stats.
5. When you select a Pokemon to swap, it should ask for confirmation. I accidentally swapped the wrong Pokemon a few times.
6. more when I play more

Glad you like it!  I've never encountered the game freeze when hitting B.  If you're able to recreate it, that would be awesome and helpful.  I also agree about both of those menu-related suggestions.

In addition to fixing things, I'm planning on making this whole thing more "modular", so that it can be part of a bigger hack.  I'll have to redo a bunch of the changes I made to the main routines in the game, but it shouldn't be too difficult!

Offline

#8 2014-01-25 05:41:48

Chamber_
Member
Registered: 2013-12-31
Post 16/119

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

From what you say, I think this is a good hack. 

I will download and pass to my cell, then return to comment.

thank you!

Offline

#9 2014-01-25 09:40:41

stag019
Idea Killer
Registered: 2011-01-05
Post 563/630

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

ShantyTown wrote:

I've never encountered the game freeze when hitting B.  If you're able to recreate it, that would be awesome and helpful.

I just got it again. This time just by picking a Pokemon to swap. It seems to happen at random. I don't know how to debug it or what to tell you, other than it ends up when the rom is bank 1E (becauses it passes by 1E:485E, which is a byte 40/ld b, b/bgb automatic source code breakpoint).

Edit: Just got the "tried so hard and got so far" line.... lol

Edit 2: I got a savestate for BGB in which I can consistently reproduce the bug. Here it is. When it asks if you want to swap Pokemon, say "Yes", and then press B to cancel.

Last edited by stag019 (2014-01-25 10:11:24)


You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

Offline

#10 2014-01-25 12:13:37

YORAMRW
Member
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2013-03-29
Post 1,033/1,197
Website

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

When I'm in the Battle Factory, the Pallet Town music is playing. Maybe I can make the Battle Factory theme in 8-bit for your hack.


Hacks Gameboy 8-bit music in Pokémon Gen I & II, composes 8-bit music in FamiTracker

Offline

#11 2014-01-25 15:51:38

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 26/344

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

stag019 wrote:
ShantyTown wrote:

I've never encountered the game freeze when hitting B.  If you're able to recreate it, that would be awesome and helpful.

I just got it again. This time just by picking a Pokemon to swap. It seems to happen at random. I don't know how to debug it or what to tell you, other than it ends up when the rom is bank 1E (becauses it passes by 1E:485E, which is a byte 40/ld b, b/bgb automatic source code breakpoint).

Edit: Just got the "tried so hard and got so far" line.... lol

Edit 2: I got a savestate for BGB in which I can consistently reproduce the bug. Here it is. When it asks if you want to swap Pokemon, say "Yes", and then press B to cancel.

Thanks for the save state.  I'll have time to look at it tonight, probably.

TheMoneyOfTheWorld wrote:

When I'm in the Battle Factory, the Pallet Town music is playing. Maybe I can make the Battle Factory theme in 8-bit for your hack.

That would be cool.  My friend and I were going to make some custom music, but this project is open source, so you could contribute if you wanted to.

Offline

#12 2014-01-27 06:05:23

stag019
Idea Killer
Registered: 2011-01-05
Post 566/630

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

I just saw the "blinded me with science" quote now too. :P

There's another bug after you've defeated 76 (god I've been playing this too much) trainers. It seems to want to load a special trainer's victory speech instead of a random one, causing infinite loops and glitches and noises and whatnot. I changed the line "jr nz, .notLastBattle" to "jr .notLastBattle" and that did fix it. Of course that'll break all special messages, but you can fix that easy I'm sure.

And now for a suggestion. I have two GBA SP's, two flash carts, and a link cable. And I really wanna show this to some guys at work. What you should try to implement is a link cable feature where you select which class of Pokemon you want to use (and just like when you would select trade/battle normally, whoever picks it first wins), select the 3 Pokemon you want to rent, and then it sends you into the normal link cable battle thing. In fact, I might even give that a try if you don't want to.


You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

Offline

#13 2014-01-27 16:10:35

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 27/344

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

stag019 wrote:

I just saw the "blinded me with science" quote now too. :P

There's another bug after you've defeated 76 (god I've been playing this too much) trainers. It seems to want to load a special trainer's victory speech instead of a random one, causing infinite loops and glitches and noises and whatnot. I changed the line "jr nz, .notLastBattle" to "jr .notLastBattle" and that did fix it. Of course that'll break all special messages, but you can fix that easy I'm sure.

And now for a suggestion. I have two GBA SP's, two flash carts, and a link cable. And I really wanna show this to some guys at work. What you should try to implement is a link cable feature where you select which class of Pokemon you want to use (and just like when you would select trade/battle normally, whoever picks it first wins), select the 3 Pokemon you want to rent, and then it sends you into the normal link cable battle thing. In fact, I might even give that a try if you don't want to.

Darn, I thought I fixed all "post-factory-head" bugs.  Oh well, shouldn't be hard to fix.  I'm about to sit down and figure out the other freezing bug you reported.

The link cable idea sounds awesome.  I'm going to try and do this in the coming weeks.  I'm fairly swamped at school right now, so feel free to give it a go yourself.

Offline

#14 2014-01-27 17:03:37

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 28/344

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

I pushed a fix for the random freezing bug to the repository, but I'll need to update the patch downloads later...

Stag, do you have a save state with >70 wins on it to help me fix the trainer's victory speech?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm fixing it now.

Last edited by ShantyTown (2014-01-27 19:01:56)

Offline

#15 2014-01-27 20:54:42

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 29/344

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

I just released an updated version 1.1 in the first post.  Here are the changes that were made:

1.  Fixed bug that occasionally crashed the game when swapping pokemon
2.  Fixed bug that occured when you defeated the seventh trainer in a challenge after you've beaten all of the factory heads
3.  Added new menus to the swapping interface after you defeat a trainer.  You can now view the stats of both the opponent's and your pokemon when swapping.

Offline

#16 2014-02-02 14:21:51

Ifin
Member
From: East java - Indonesia
Registered: 2013-04-11
Post 30/31
Website

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory


Pokemon Games
- GB-GBC Hack (meboy): Download
- GBA ROMs Hack: Download

Now Playing:
Coldplay - Clocks ^^

Offline

#17 2014-02-02 21:29:21

axmanamv
Member
Registered: 2013-02-04
Post 17/30

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

Hey, I think this is a pretty awesome concept and I'm gonna be let's playing it, if that interests you at all (prolly not lul)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnHNtzPQ_JI

Hopefully I'll make fun of you as much as I make fun of Freako!

Offline

#18 2014-02-03 02:09:18

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 31/344

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

axmanamv wrote:

Hey, I think this is a pretty awesome concept and I'm gonna be let's playing it, if that interests you at all (prolly not lul)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnHNtzPQ_JI

Hopefully I'll make fun of you as much as I make fun of Freako!

Sweet!  I'm going to watch it right now.

EDIT: Cool video.  Just so you know, the first "boss fight" happens after you've won 20 battles in a row.  Then, they happen every 7 victories after that.

Last edited by ShantyTown (2014-02-03 02:45:25)

Offline

#19 2014-02-03 04:52:14

axmanamv
Member
Registered: 2013-02-04
Post 18/30

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

ShantyTown wrote:
axmanamv wrote:

Hey, I think this is a pretty awesome concept and I'm gonna be let's playing it, if that interests you at all (prolly not lul)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnHNtzPQ_JI

Hopefully I'll make fun of you as much as I make fun of Freako!

Sweet!  I'm going to watch it right now.

EDIT: Cool video.  Just so you know, the first "boss fight" happens after you've won 20 battles in a row.  Then, they happen every 7 victories after that.

Alright, thanks for letting me know! I didn't catch it when I first read the description (I do that a lot and then say a lot of untrue things afterwards, whomp lul), but I'll know for the future! Also, gonna try to make it a nuzlocke run starting episode 2, hope I don't die too much!

Last edited by axmanamv (2014-02-03 04:55:47)

Offline

#20 2014-05-05 23:58:18

stag019
Idea Killer
Registered: 2011-01-05
Post 588/630

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

Just curious if you're still working on this. I really wanna see that link cable stuff, but I'd never be able to do it.
Also, you should add some Twitch Plays Pokemon references. :P


You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

Offline

#21 2014-05-06 00:14:13

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 57/344

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

stag019 wrote:

Just curious if you're still working on this. I really wanna see that link cable stuff, but I'd never be able to do it.
Also, you should add some Twitch Plays Pokemon references. :P

I'm not working on it anymore.  I tried getting the link capabilities to work, but I ran into some tricky troubles.  I can't remember exactly what the problem was, but I remember being able to successfully start a battle.  It would break for reasons unknown to me during the battle, and I just didn't have the patience to dig into the problem because I was anxious to do other stuff.  Sorry!

Offline

#22 2014-05-06 03:33:38

stag019
Idea Killer
Registered: 2011-01-05
Post 589/630

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

ShantyTown wrote:
stag019 wrote:

Just curious if you're still working on this. I really wanna see that link cable stuff, but I'd never be able to do it.
Also, you should add some Twitch Plays Pokemon references. :P

I'm not working on it anymore.  I tried getting the link capabilities to work, but I ran into some tricky troubles.  I can't remember exactly what the problem was, but I remember being able to successfully start a battle.  It would break for reasons unknown to me during the battle, and I just didn't have the patience to dig into the problem because I was anxious to do other stuff.  Sorry!

Do you still have the sauce?


You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

Offline

#23 2014-05-06 04:24:03

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 58/344

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

stag019 wrote:

Do you still have the sauce?

https://github.com/huderlem/pokered_battle_factory
Edit: Good luck.  I don't have a good concept of "clean" gameboy assembly.

Last edited by ShantyTown (2014-05-06 04:25:19)

Offline

#24 2014-05-06 04:55:47

stag019
Idea Killer
Registered: 2011-01-05
Post 590/630

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

I don't see the commits dealing with the link battle stuff. Is it in there?


You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

Offline

#25 2014-05-06 14:27:47

ShantyTown
Member
Registered: 2013-12-04
Post 59/344

Re: Pokémon Red: Battle Factory

stag019 wrote:

I don't see the commits dealing with the link battle stuff. Is it in there?

It's not there because I didn't make any useful progress.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB