Skeetendo

’Cause all games were better on the GBC

You are not logged in.

#151 2013-02-13 01:14:37

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 340/607

Re: What happened to Twilight Hacking?

Just wanted to give a visual demonstration as to why board splitting always ends up as a bad thing.

Here is a chart showing the posts per day at board2 (formerly Acmlm's Board). Split 1 is when Jul broke off, and Split 2 is when Kafuka broke off. Each time, resulting in a dramatic decrease in the number of posts per day.

Sorry that the image is so big but that board's been around for 2186 days, and one time, they posted 1323 posts in one day (quite obviously near the beginning).

You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

#152 2013-02-13 01:37:24

Vitharix
Post 195/396

If I may say so, I think this whole event is fucking ridiculous. Yes I have an account at TH, but I also have an account at PC. Doesn't mean anything as far as loyalties go. Just use the boards as you normally would.

#153 2013-02-13 01:42:32

Munchulax
Post 287/410

stag019 wrote:

Just wanted to give a visual demonstration as to why board splitting always ends up as a bad thing.

Who ever said that the board was splitting up?  No one ever said that they wouldn't update the status of their hacks here or that they were taking everything they've written and moving it to TH.  In my opinion, TH is kinda like a subsidiary of Skeetendo, and that it can almost act like a spam filter (sorry Mr. Magius if this sounds insulting) for Skeetendo in redirecting some of those annoying posts that pop up now and then.  It's just another place to go that you can use to publicize your hack.  For example, the AAI2 translation project has pages for showing progress and updates on RHDN, GBATemp, and The Court Records Forum.  They all receive the same updates around the same time, and it helps publicize the hack more because some people that only hang out on The Court Records Forum have never even heard about ROMs/ROM Hacks, let alone RHDN.  TH is just another way of promoting our hacks to the world, and if people that see hacks on TH become interested, they might even come over and register here on Skeetendo, and who knows?  Maybe that person would become quite the successful hacker.

And was that really necessary?

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ― Oscar Wilde

#154 2013-02-13 01:45:50

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 342/607

Everyone says this, every single time a board split.

"Oh I'll be active on both of them."

And some actually live up to that claim.

But only about 5% of them, if even.

You can try to hide yourself in this world of pretend; when the paper's crumpled up, it can't be perfect again.

#155 2013-02-13 01:47:45

tysonrss
Post 578/649

I'll probably pop in from time to time, I'm at too many forums as it is though, and I frequent this one.

Pokemon Blue DX is reborn!

#156 2013-02-13 01:53:44

Vitharix
Post 196/396

I'm revising my stance. In my last visit to TH, I can see that the, ah, pedigree of the posts, shall we say, is consistent (and this isn't meant as a slight to Mr Magius) to what has been seemingly tolerated through gritted teeth, here. I feel as if every post has a purpose here and is not just for casual banter. That's where this board can improve, if we can allow that to be drawn away from the more important topics and posts. THIS is where the positive change will be.

#157 2013-02-13 04:48:53

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 347/607

[23:39:01] <CyclopsCaveman> trying to balance between two separate places for discussion is divisive and offers nothing to either community
[23:39:19] <padz> everyone involved knows that
[23:39:43] <stag019> padz is assuming malicious intent on their side
[23:39:49] <stag019> whereas im assuming ignorance on their side
[23:39:52] <padz> its pretty blatant

#158 2013-02-13 08:22:33

619/692

This discussion has really blown up.

I still think a board split—because that’s what this is, intentional or not—is detrimental and misguided. But I repeat myself.

I’ll emphasize again: there is no magic division between “IRC users” and “board users.” And in my opinion, there’s no magic division between people interested in documentation and people interested in hacks.

Also: I can't believe I have to say this, but of course the board isn’t getting deleted. That accusation came out of nowhere.

#159 2013-02-13 09:08:44

Miksy91
Post 1,516/2,150

Yeah and in addition to what IIMarckus said here already, we have no point in having two forums.
Everybody agrees to these statements here. We don't have two types of people around here. And splitting up the board in two places will only cause harm to the newcomers in hacking scene.

Now that a lot of discussion has gone through, I can only see two things supporting the revival of TH.

1) Not having to be afraid of what you post
2) Mr. Magius getting his own forum like he wanted to

And there is nothing more to this than that. The first one can be solved easily by making everyone know what's right or wrong. Everybody knows from real life that behaving in a mean way in a situation that doesn't require it only leads into problems. We don't want this to happen here!
Let's bring this community to the way it was before: everyone could have fun around and not be scared of anything. Right now, we have intentionally generated a border behind what can be posted and what cannot be. And more related to this, who can post and who cannot.
And this here is what made TH to start growing.

So the real problem we have is not in TH, it's right here in the atmosphere of this community. If we want to keep this hacking community grow, we have to work as a team in which not a single person is trying to break it up. Currently, I can count 3 people who are breaking this community apart - every single one of them intentionally.

If we get a newbie around who asks something unnecessary, that doesn't mean anyone has the right to be blaming him about it. Instead, we have to put the newbie in the right direction! This is how the rom hacking forums work.

The are certain cases who refuse to take the advice in consideration. But we shouldn't be yelling at them for it either. If one keeps posting crap even though he has been answered about it before, the best thing to do would simply be to leave that person unanswered.
We don't want to awaken hatred in the forum. This place is so small as its own that we've got to work together to keep it going.

Last edited by Miksy91 (2013-02-13 09:27:01)

#160 2013-02-13 10:09:59

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 349/607

Miksy91 wrote:

Currently, I can count 3 people who are breaking this community apart - every single one of them intentionally.

I hope one of them is tysonrss. Because I've been fair and just about this whole situation, and tysonrss threw in that lie about me trying to convince iimarckus to close down the board, and him seriously contemplating it.

I may have jokingly told iimarckus to close down the board, but he knew that and didn't think anything of it. I also jokingly suggested I should start my own forum so that there would be 3, and even more division. But that would just be stupider.

#161 2013-02-13 12:53:44

emaj30
Post 265/462
Website

Wah! Here we go again, a LITTLE NOSE PICKING thread is trending and everyone is getting involved right now. This thing is so ridiculous that everybody here acts like an attorney, getting both offensive and defensive. What more can we get from constant agruing with this thing? I humbly suggest to everyone here to stand down coz every post that we do pointing each others error or mistake makes the situation worse than ever, I don't see things around getting better at this point. It's not.

Last edited by emaj30 (2013-02-13 12:54:40)

#162 2013-02-13 13:03:43

Miksy91
Post 1,518/2,150

emaj30 wrote:

I don't see things around getting better at this point. It's not.

It is getting better. Everything is starting to get back in place and it starting look to me like we're even better off with this forum that we were two weeks ago.

#163 2013-02-13 13:26:15

emaj30
Post 267/462
Website

Miksy91 wrote:
emaj30 wrote:

I don't see things around getting better at this point. It's not.

It is getting better. Everything is starting to get back in place and it starting look to me like we're even better off with this forum that we were two weeks ago.

Honestly, I don't get your point very well. Can you please rephrase what you've said even a little? Not that I don't understand get the point, your words seems too deep for me to comprehend, really and seriously:)

#164 2013-02-13 17:03:03

tysonrss
Post 581/649

WTF, blaming that bullshit on me.

Wanting a board split would make my latest posts hypocritical. Maybe it was joking but i couldnt tell the difference. To say im one of the few responsible. in addition to that, stag, you're such a fucking hypocrite. Playing pretend about how you want mateo here and as admin yet you talked all nonsense about him in iirc. Clearly i sense a lot of fakery here, and its not from me.

#165 2013-02-13 18:08:18

Mateo
Post 2,323/2,934

I know that I personally am done being fake about things. I want to believe stag,(even though I wasn't in the IRC so obviously I have no idea what was said or what was meant by it, but I'm not going to let it bother me) although I'm sure a lot has been said about people on "both sides" of this issue behind their backs while this was going on. But let's try not to dwell on it. In the other thread, it feels like things are starting to come back together so I personally vote that we all try to let bygones be bygones and move toward coming together as a community again, the way we used to be.

#166 2013-02-13 18:27:28

tysonrss
Post 582/649

I have no problem with moving on, provided the unnecessary bickering and talking behind people's backs cease.

I can't be apart of a community where everyone acts fake then when you're around they're acting like we're friends.

That said, I'm done with the discussion about this, I didn't even intend to take part of it anyway. Hopefully people can just move on and things be as they were, just without the dickery and fakeness.

#167 2013-02-13 18:43:24

Mateo
Post 2,324/2,934

tysonrss wrote:

I have no problem with moving on, provided the unnecessary bickering and talking behind people's backs cease.

I can't be apart of a community where everyone acts fake then when you're around they're acting like we're friends.

That said, I'm done with the discussion about this, I didn't even intend to take part of it anyway. Hopefully people can just move on and things be as they were, just without the dickery and fakeness.

Agreed.

#168 2013-02-13 18:56:12

Vitharix
Post 198/396

I was lurking the IRC for a while yesterday evening, after padz so graciously welcomed me, and I picked up on the board-closing-down joke.

And I don't think that there actually is a divide between the board and IRC users, but the way I was "welcomed" yesterday certainly didn't make me want to come back anytime soon. That might be where people sense the divide. Of course, it might not have been cool for me to jump into discussion, which is entirely understandable. The IRC, I now see, has serious advantages, with the most obvious being not waiting minutes for replies.

#169 2013-02-13 19:25:27

Squall
Post 295/302

Vitharix wrote:

I was lurking the IRC for a while yesterday evening, after padz so graciously welcomed me, and I picked up on the board-closing-down joke.

And I don't think that there actually is a divide between the board and IRC users, but the way I was "welcomed" yesterday certainly didn't make me want to come back anytime soon. That might be where people sense the divide. Of course, it might not have been cool for me to jump into discussion, which is entirely understandable. The IRC, I now see, has serious advantages, with the most obvious being not waiting minutes for replies.

No, instead you get ignored on the IRC. I have been on the IRC plenty of times, if you aren't some kind of assembly genius you are about as welcome as an ant.

#170 2013-02-13 19:40:55

Vitharix
Post 199/396

Well, for the most part, yes. However, I did get some snarky comments so I won't count that against them.

#171 2013-02-13 20:17:08

stag019
Idea Killer
Post 356/607

Squall wrote:

No, instead you get ignored on the IRC. I have been on the IRC plenty of times, if you aren't some kind of assembly genius you are about as welcome as an ant.

It depends on who's around at the time. Part of the problem is, the people who are frequently online, kanzure and padz, are also the least helpful. I wish I could be around more often, but unfortunately I work 40+ hours a week. But let it be known, that you, a well as anyone who doesn't know assembly, are very welcome there. In fact, it would be a good thing for you to be there. If you'd like, you can start to learn assembly. If not, you can just hang around, ignoring padz and kanzure. My robot has plenty of tools to help with hacking, as well as it reports posts on the forums.

I might respond more later.

#172 2013-02-13 21:22:34

emaj30
Post 271/462
Website

Wow, is this Miksy meant? Things are getting normal here.

Last edited by emaj30 (2013-02-13 22:23:51)

#173 2013-02-13 21:57:59

Luigi-San
Post 105/124

To be honest, I think splitting everything between two boards (and having two different boards to begin with) is a bad idea. There would inevitably be material that's on one board and not the other. Same with users. IMO, it would be a better idea to just have one big board than two small ones.

#174 2013-02-14 00:43:25

comet
Post 140/497

Vitharix wrote:

I always found welcomes creepy. I didn't think people expected or wanted them.

Squall wrote:

I skimmed through some logs from the past month and the only times you were in there you weren't ignored. If a lot of people are around you can easily have 5 conversations going on at once, so it can seem like other people aren't paying attention to what you're saying. There's no discrimination, I'm very confused by that accusation.

Not everyone is in the channel all at once, so it can seem like nobody is ever on except regulars. That's only true if you stop coming, because anything would seem boring if you thought there were only 3 people there.

Last edited by comet (2013-02-14 00:46:58)

#175 2013-02-14 00:54:23

Squall
Post 296/302

Umm, I've been around for a while, lol. I am not even talking about you, though you are elitist tbh.

Board footer